Disputes with neighbours

Sometimes residents have disputes with neighbours about various things – for example – overhanging trees, fence boundaries, or paying for a a new fence.  Local council does not have influence over these matters as they are a civil dispute.  Generally, you should exhaust every opportunity for a negotiated compromise with your neighbour before taking any further action.

If a compromise can not be reached, then organisations that can assist with these matters are:

Legal Aidwww.legalaid.vic.gov.au/find-legal-answers/disputes-with-neighbours
Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoriawww.disputes.vic.gov.au
Magistrates Courtwww.magistratescourt.vic.gov.au/jurisdictions/civil/fencing-disputes
Google searchGoogle search


Fences are dealt with by the Fences Act, Victoria. In short, to protect your interests, you should engage a qualified surveyor who will identify boundary lines of the property consistent with the titles registered in the Titles Office.  Once identified, the Fences Act requires that your neighbour contributes fifty percent of the cost of a standard fence.  You have a right to construct the fence and your neighbour has an obligation to meet half the cost.  This can be enforced through the Magistrates Court. Once your surveyor has prepared the report for you make it clear to your neighbour.  If the neighbour does not cooperate, you can go to court.

Fences Amendment Act 2014

Fence disputes problems and regulations